Did you know that your skin, is considered the largest organ in your body? Winter is a can be harsh on our skin, so we offer you our Top 5 Tips For Gorgeous Winter Skin.
Your skin is important in protecting you against disease. It also plays a significant role in insulation, temperature regulation, sensation as well as reducing excessive water loss.
Some interesting facts about skin include:
- an average adult’s skin can span 21 square feet and weighs just over 4kg
- skin is thinnest on your eyelids and thickest on your palms and soles
- your skin sheds a layer of dead cells approximately every 24 hours
- dead, discarded skin accounts for about a billion tonnes of dust globally in the atmosphere (they say approximately 70% of the dust in your home is due to shed human skin!)
- skin can release as much as 11L of sweat on a hot day
- your skin is able to renew itself every 28 days
- goose bumps are actually little pimples that help to retain a layer of warm air over our body.
Being that it is Winter, most people will need to adjust their beauty regime to help their skin cope with the stresses of artificial heat, cold, wind, longer and hotter showers plus less humidity in the air.
Don’t let Winter get you down. Check out our top 5 tips of how to not only keep that rosy glow on your cheeks this Winter, but all over.
Here are our Top 5 Tips For Gorgeous Winter Skin
- Save Your Skin. Everyone loves a long hot bath or shower in winter, so do yourself a favour and try to either make them shorter or have lukewarm baths or showers instead.
- Exfoliate At Least Twice A Week. This will help to remove any dead, dry, flaky skin – try using a body brush on dry skin before jumping into the shower. Don’t forget to exfoliate your lips too by using a wet, wrung out washcloth.
- Moisturize Religiously. Use a heavier crème immediately after showering or bathing rather than just a lotion as you would in summer. Choose products which contain shea butter or alpha-hydroxy acids (AHAs) which can help to protect and re-hydrate your skin.
- Wear Sunscreen. Use a daily facial moisturizer that contains sunscreen. The glare from the winter sun, especially if you’re outdoors having fun can still damage your skin and make you age significantly. Activities such as skiing / snowboarding at higher altitudes means that the ultraviolet light will also be harsher, so make sure you protect yourself.
- Stop Licking Your Lips! Chapped lips can be a common problem in winter and by licking your lips to ‘help’ moisturize them, it’s actually going to make it worse as the moisture evaporates and dries them out even more. Choose a good lip balm that contains beeswax, aloe, vitamin E and/or tea tree or other essential oils. Remember to re-apply frequently throughout the day to keep them looking gorgeous!
You can keep your skin looking healthy and luscious with our simple tips, plus, remember to also make sure that you drink plenty of water and have regular massages to help stimulate blood flow to energise your entire body.
For more Winter Tips – check out our article on Top 5 Winter Health Tips…
Article by Melanie Yeoh